Self-love is a term we toss around daily without understanding what it truly means or how to become to a self-loving person. Can we achieve it simply by watching a feel good movie or reading a feel good article?
Self-love is essential for leading a healthy, peaceful life. It influences every aspect of our life from relationships to work to the way we regard ourselves.
But what is self-love? It is not just a state of feeling good. Self-love is a state of appreciation for oneself that grows from actions that support our physical, psychological and spiritual growth.
It is dynamic state that keeps evolving through our actions. Expanding self-love in us can help us accept our weaknesses as well as our strengths develop more compassion within us as we struggle to find personal meaning. And, perhaps be less self-critical of ourselves.
How to start loving yourself? Glad you asked!
1. Be more mindful: Dwell deep and figure about what is it that you need, feel or want. The first step is to be mindful of who you are and act according to this knowledge rather than depending on what others want for us or think we should want for ourselves.
2. Act on what you need rather than what you want: We love ourselves, when can turn away from something that might feel good but doesn’t help us in moving forward in life or fulfill our life purposes. This can help us shift from behavioral patterns that keep us in the past and lessen our self-love.
3. Practice Self-Care: When you love something you do your best to cherish it and take care of it. In the same way, we must inculcate practices of good self-care like having a nourishing diet, involving exercise and healthy activities in our day, getting sound sleep or through healthy social interactions.
4. Start Saying No: Learn to set boundaries and say no to activities like workload or demeaning relationships that harm you physically, emotionally or spiritually.
5. Create a healthy environment: Surround yourself with people who help you embrace yourself and accept the fact that you love yourself and your life rather than those who dim your positive light through their negativity.
6. Forgive yourself: As human beings, we tend to be overly self-critical of ourselves. Don’t be so hard on yourself. Success doesn’t exist without failures and failures are nothing but lessons learned. Tell yourself, “I am enough.”
7. Live Intentionally: Living with purpose can help you love yourself more. It doesn’t have to be a specific goal, but if you set out with an intention to live a healthy life, you will work towards that intention. And accomplishing tasks that help you get there; can make you love yourself more.
The more self-love you have for yourself, the more prepared you are for a better and meaningful life. Moreover, you will attract the same energy and positive vibes in your life. So, take a deep breath, hug yourself and spread some of that self-love within yourself.